Saturday 28 November 2020

Shrink Windows 10 disk to install Linux as dual boot

This note is for you:
  • Not able to Shrink Windows partition that has been 100% used

  • Defrag is not working and not able to shrink C drive

  • Have lots of free disk but shink only offering small amount

I had 150 GB hard disk. Single C drive and disk was near 100% used up. After clearning freed 80GB, i wante to install Linux on 70GB. So first had to shrink but Windows shrink only allowed my to string 150GB by 2 GB, which is no where near the 70GB i wanted. So did defrag, still only allowed my shrink to 2gb, since system files were scartered all over the disk. So searching, found in asnwers.microsoft.com forume an solution and that worked for me. That is. 

  1. Download 'AOMEI Partition Assistant' Freeware 
    1. I have downloaded from diskpart.com/download.html
    2. I have selected Freeware Version 9.0 (file FAssist_Std.exe)
  2. Install AOMEI Partition Assistant. It goes on installs mini os like software to go in shrink, as you using host 
  3. Use the shrink option, if you try to do split option you have purchase the full version of software. 
  4. Once you have shrunk your disk
  5. Restart your machine and you will see the unalloacted disk and original disk shrunk. 

 

I have installed Ubunto and new unallocated and and kept my Windows side by side, everything working like a treat.

 

Thanks You "AOMEI Partition Assistant"

No comments: